Monday, October 09, 2006

Giving Thanks, a ritual

Having grown up in a family that never celebrated Thanksgiving, today means something a little different to me then eating turkeys and gathering with loved ones. Instead, in the past few years, I have chosen this day as a time to express my appreciation for the many blessings in my life. I have turned it into something of a simple ritual, but it is something anyone can do.

Find a private space, and dim the lights. Burn your favorite incense and get comfortable. On a piece of parchment, take your time and write out ten things you are grateful for. You can give as much or as little detail as you want.

I keep these papers from year to year, to be able to look back on all the bright and wonderful things and people that have come into my life. It makes a wonderful keepsake, and a reminder, for darker days, when you need to have something comforting to hold on to.

No comments: