Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Rememberance Day

November 11th
Remember those soldiers who have died for our freedom in World War I & II.
At 11:00am, offer your time and energy.
Light a candle and hold a silent vigil for 11 minutes.

More than 1,500,000 Canadians have served our country in this way, and more than 100,000 have died. They gave their lives and their futures so that we may live in peace.

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
John McCrae


For more information about the history and activities about Rememberance Day, Please visit this site: http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=history/other/remember

What will I do?

Here at the store, I will use our public altar. At 11:00am, I will light a candle in honor of my grandfather (now gone) who was a veteran. I will read aloud his poem that he wrote while in the war trenches of WWII in Europe then observe 11 minutes of silence.

May my energy and prayers from this small vigil strengthen the lives of veterans still living, honor their sacrifices, respect those long gone, and help keep alive our current military abroad today.

Soldiers' Feet
This is my grandfather's poem.

2 comments:

Kyla Matton Osborne said...

Thanks for posting the link to the poem! having spent a good deal of time with veterans who went on the live decades as civilians, I was particularly touched by the last couplet.

scarletcougar said...

Thank you. My Grandfather lived on as a civilian too but passed away a few years ago. One of my vows to him was to read his poem every Remembrance Day.